Courses and fees

License course dates

Qualifications for Texas CHL

Course of fire for CHL
range qualification

Defensive shooting -
beyond basic skills

Legislative Updates


Other Links


Russell Thurmon
11457 La Cantera Tr
Frisco TX 75034



Frequently Asked Questions

1) Can I carry in my car without a license and if so why do I need one?

Yes, House Bill 1815 as passed by the 80th Legislature allows for the carry of a concealed handgun on your premises or premises under your control (a vehicle and/or an RV included). There are several benefits to having a Texas Concealed Handgun License: You can legally carry a loaded, concealed handgun on your person and in other states which honor a Texas CHL. You no longer have to undergo an F.B.I. background check to purchase a firearm. You have the legal ability to defend yourself and other innocent people from the violent acts of criminals.

2) Do I need to take a class for a CHL renewal?

No, you can go to the DPS webpage https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/ and complete the application. Your driver's license photo will be used and a renewal class is no longer required.

3) What kind of gun can I carry when I get my handgun license?

UPDATE : The State now allows you to qualify with and carry either a revolver or 
semiautomatic with no special designation for semiauto anymore.

The State requires only that the gun be legally-obtained, and that you carry only the category of handgun with which you qualified in class. If you use a revolver in class, then you may legally carry only a revolver. If you qualify with a semiautomatic pistol, then you may carry either a revolver or a semiautomatic pistol. Further, there is no caliber restriction on what you choose to carry, nor a restriction on how many handguns you may carry concealed.

4) Will I need a gun before I begin my training class?

We have semi automatic pistols available for rent. The fee is $45.00 to include 50 rounds of ammunition.

5) Is my gun now registered with the State?

No. Obtaining a CHL is not a registration of your firearm(s). The state does not require any report of what handgun you use or own, only whether you qualified with a semiautomatic or non-semiautomatic.

6) How much does it cost to get my concealed-carry license?

Your class fee covers the cost of the training, and the range fee. The Cost of Prints through the State designated provider is $10.00 and your current driver's license photo on file is now automatically used as your CHL photo. The range membership (lifetime) is an additional $15.00 (if not already a member). You must pay an additional fee to the state via mail or online with a credit card when submitting your application. A five-year original license is $140.00. An original license for a person 60 years of age or older is $70.00. Renewal of a license is $70.00 ($35.00 for 60 and older) for a five-year license regardless of age.

7) I have heard that I will have to take a special class to get a license. Is this true?

Yes. You must take a 4-6 hour class taught by a DPS-certified instructor. The notification form (CHL-100) you receive from the instructor must be sent to the DPS with your other application materials as listed on the bar coded printout receipt from the online application.

8) How long does it take to get my concealed weapons license?

Upon completion of the training course and application packet, the state has 60 days from the time it receives your completed materials to issue your license. 45 days are allowed for a renewal.

9) Do I have to have my packet from the state before I take the concealed carry permit course?

No. You do not have to have your packet to take the course (I have some available). However it is helpful to go on-line, prepay (via credit card) and receive your package in the mail directly from the state.

10) How long do I have to renew my concealed weapons permit if it is already expired?

You have one year after expiration of a Texas Concealed Handgun License to renew it. You may not carry once your license has expired, even if you've submitted the online application and are waiting for your new license to arrive. If your license has been expired for more than one year, you must start over as a new original-license applicant.

11) Will a license from my home state be recognized under the reciprocal license provision?

Upon recommendation of the attorney general, the governor will issue a proclamation or sign a reciprocity agreement recognizing a concealed handgun license in another state and our license in that state. You must abide by the applicable laws of the given state. An updated list of states with reciprocity can found here

12) If I was convicted of DWI two years ago, can I still get a concealed handgun license?

No. DWI is at least a Class B misdemeanor, and you are ineligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or B misdemeanor or disorderly conduct. This includes cases that were dismissed after you completed probation or deferred adjudication.

13) If I was arrested for a crime but the charges were dismissed, will my application be rejected?

No. Dismissals will not be grounds for denial, as long as you were not placed on probation or deferred adjudication prior to the dismissal.

14) Where can I not take my handgun?

Handguns and other weapons cannot be carried at schools or on school buses, at polling places, in courts and court offices, at racetracks (where there is Para mutual betting), at secured airport areas or within 1,000 feet of the premises of an execution on the day of execution. The law also specifically prohibits handguns from businesses where alcohol is sold if more than half of their income is derived from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption, and from locations where high school, college, or professional sporting events are taking place. You may not carry handguns in hospitals or nursing homes, amusement parks, places of worship or at government meetings if signs are posted prohibiting them. Businesses also may post signs prohibiting handguns on their premises based on criminal trespass laws.

Please email for additional questions.